Sunday, August 12, 2012

Fourteen Days: Regrouping

Is it fair enough to say that we all go through regrouping phases? I've found that in both life and training there's inevitable regrouping phases. My definition of regrouping is when you happen to take step back (not always your choice). You check yourself and ask, is this really the direction I should be headed? Will this workout really get me more prepared for that A Race? I find it as a positive experience to regroup, but I also find it diffcult to regroup soon enough. What I know is that our vision can be clouded. A lot of time by passion alone and the deep feelings we place on achieving certain goals.

I am now fourteen days to the T from Ironman Louisville. I can't believe the day has almost arrived. Its absolutely rowdy how quickly time passes. Another positive about life. It goes quick so theres always good stuff around the corner. Another regrouping time right?


Interestingly enough I completely regrouped this weekend. I decided to not even show up to the Charleston Sprint Championship. Why? My foot has been acting up, AGAIN! Couldn't be better timing heading into my first Ironman event. The fact here is that I am forced to regroup. An obstacle that if my vision wasn't clouded earlier in training I could have caught. In racing and life you have roll with what comes your way, but you also have to learn from your mistakes. I feel like at times I am victim of my own passion. I know that whatever I set my mind to I put 100% effort into it until I achieve my ultimate desire.

I'm all for getting your head set on something and going after it, but sometimes you work too hard for your own good.You push through pain and the endless comitments without slowing down. Your take away this evening is to plan your regrouping phases. I think I am finally learning that controlling regrouping phases is my next big goal. If I can get more in-tune with my needs and stay away from that next sexy race every once in a while I will find this control. Life's moments and phases aren't always planned, but how good does it feel when you make a decision that's just for you? A decision that only impacts your life? Being selfless is a certainly a pro personality attribute, but if you can't assert those critical moments in training or in life things could become uncontrollable. With that said, do yourself a favor and recognize your time to regroup. Its a good thing.

Time to regroup your training when: 

1) Benchmark workouts are getting slower. If you're recovering right and eating clean enough your times should always be staying the same or getting better. Yeah every once in awhile you may have an "off" workout, but this is sure sign of over-training.
2) After those A Events. I'm the absolute worst at this one. Some LSD marathon books will say you need to take one day off for every mile you ran in the marathon. I'm starting to believe this may have some truth. I am finding that I race BIG and then get excited to race again without giving my body the proper rest and recovery. Give yourself credit for the events you race. Don't underestimate or neglect the fact that you ran a half marathon. CFE athletes makes sure to perform the official Strength and Conditioning recovery WOD until your feeling better. Avoid the sexy metacons and next weekend 5Ks, you just did a marathon!
3) If there's no longer any fun. Apply this one to your life too folks. How about your job? Everything in life should involve some sort of fun or there's something missing. This requires a positive mindset, but what I am saying is if you walk into CFHH and there is no sort of fun still in it for you, it's time to get out. Quite simple people.
4) You've done the same event for the last two years. I am a big believer in trying that next thing. Don't get tied down with the things you're good at. Branch out to new workouts and new experiences in your life. Feel free to be a badass runner, but don't always live there. That's just too comfortable. Uncomfortable and unfamiliar situations are exciting.
5) Find yourself not getting stronger or times improving. Should your focus be more on strength? Should you be getting on the bike more? Is your nutrition on point? Look over the training journals and make sure you're seeing progress. When you get stuck somewhere don't simply ignore it. Same goes for life. When you continue to do a job wrong or the way you communicate with your wife never improves do you just keep going? Hope not. 

Lots to think about when it comes to training, but greater than that can you think of any pivotal moments in your life when you could have regrouped? Or maybe should have?

 
Saturday Skill Work 

First video of a new series I'll be posting as our team: Less Miles, More CrossFit trains for the Savannah Rock N Roll Half and Full Marathon November 3, 2012!

Watch as athlete Chris learns proper posture and fall technique with the hip from behind hold drill.

You'll see he was broken to start, but then got himself in proper position before the release.



No comments:

Post a Comment